Quantcast

Stove fire destroys West Valley City home

Published July 11, 2014 3:20 pm

This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2014, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

A fire apparently caused by a stove malfunction caused heavy damage to a West Valley City home on Friday, displacing the family of six who lived there.

At 12:20 p.m. Friday, fire fighters responded to 4715 W. 3145 South to find the split-entry style home was well-involved in flames.

Crews quickly extinguished the blaze, but it caused an estimated $100,000 in damage to the roof and upstairs portion of the home, said Battalion Chief Bob Fitzgerald.

He said an electric stove in the kitchen area was the starting point of the fire.

Nothing had been left cooking on the stove, Fitzgerald said, adding that the residents reported they were having problems with unit.

The displaced residents — who were not home at the time of the fire — will be staying with family members.

shunt@sltrib.com