Quantcast

Utah home destroyed by microwave fire

Published October 14, 2013 8:01 pm

This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

A Goshen home was destroyed Monday afternoon by a fire that apparently started in a microwave, the Utah County Sheriff's Office reported.

The 22-year-old woman and her 22-month-old daughter escaped uninjured from the home, which was declared a total loss.

The fire began after a TV dinner was placed into the microwave oven to cook. After starting the microwave the mother walked to another room, but was soon alerted by the smoke detectors, the sheriff's office reported.

When the woman returned to the kitchen, she found it filled with smoke and evacuated the home.

Neighbors rushed to help her move some vehicles from being burned, but damage to the home was estimated at more than $120,000.

The woman and child will be staying with nearby relatives. The State Fire Marshall is investigating.

Fire units from Goshen, Genola and Santaquin responded, as did deputies from the Utah County Sheriff's Office.